This is a spreasheet in Excel of the Prinitave Methodist Church Registers from 1878 to 1937
A great help for people searching their family treee.


£3.00
This is in the form of a Spredsheet set in Excel listing the Baptism registers for Penkhull Primative Church from 1878 – 1937.
Great help for those researching their family tree.
This is a spreasheet in Excel of the Prinitave Methodist Church Registers from 1878 to 1937
A great help for people searching their family treee.
The first production entitled Snow White, and the Seven Dwarfs was staged in 1958, and was presented almost in a makeshift theatre in the upper schoolroom of the Sunday School. Because of its huge success and public praise, it was decided to present the panto in what was then called Penkhull Senior School the following year. The new venue had a large stage and many schoolrooms that could be used for dressing and props. The next production, Cinderella, surpassed all expectations and the mould was set for an annual pantomime to be presented the week after Christmas. Mrs Buxton continued to produce for three years and was followed in that important role in 1962 by Mrs Betty Powell, by which time the organisation drew in many helpers to build the props, install the lighting, and paint the scenery from both chapel members and the local community. My mother-in-law, Meg Palmer, took charge of the costumes; Dennis Cotterill the lighting and electrics. Other helpers in those early days were Mrs Marjorie Prophett; Mr and Mrs Tom Rowley; Frank Adams; and Jim Powell who helped to produce the props. A story that will bring back so many wonderful memories both of the pantomimes but the people involved.
Three pages with loads of Panto photographs.
It was in 1832, when the first move was made to provide an Anglican Church in Penkhull, a village ion the top of a hill. The parish church of St Peter-ad-Vincula was situated around one mile away in the valley below. It was used weekdays as a school and Sundays for worship and situated in what is now the north side of the present churchyard. In 1842 the present church of St. Thomas was built to accommodate and expanding congregation.
Probably as a direct result and with the predominant number of working people in the village, the first Primitive Chapel was erected within a stone’s throw from the one in the churchyard although many were worshiping in houses by that time. The new chapel was opened in 1836 (still standing) but there were serious financial issues almost from day one to finance the building.
Following the establishment of the church in 1842, by 1844 the church established a National School just across the road. Then in the 1850’s because of the high number of children wishing to attend the Primitive church, an additional separate but attached Sunday School was built.
The story continues to include the parish registers and many different views between the two denominations which went on for years. This twenty-seven-page essay places both church/chapel within the national framework and far much more. This is an important essay for students of religious worship and community relationships of the time.
twenty-seven pages with photos
A pie chart and list of three different denominations withinStoke-upon-Trent as recorded in the religious census of 1851
An Act to authorize a Sale to the respective Land Owners of all Tithes and Rectorial Dues belonging to the Rectory of
Stoke-upon-Trent in the County of Stafford; for endowing Two new Churches; and for other Purposes. [21st June 1827.]
An incredable document of thirty opages which includes a large amount of descriptions of Glebe Land belonging to the Rector, which inclome was being designed to help to build a number of new Anglican Churches in its ancient parish. This Act on 1827 in an historians dream come true.
The 1840s witnessed a huge growth in Anglican church building within industrial towns, Stoke being just one of them in an attempt to increase the number attending Church of England rather than the Methodist Church whose growth continued undiminished. As a result in districts of Penkhull and Trentvale more people moved into the area and raised the necessary funds two churches before their consecration in October 1842.
For Hartshill, Herbert Minton had already undertaken at its own expense the building of Holy Trinity. At Penkhull, it had been proposed to erect a church by subscription which the Rev Thomas Webb Minton, the son of Thomas Minton the potter consented to endow the church with £1,000 (later to become £2,000) the interest of which would help to pay for a permanent priest and so another step would be made towards the completion of the building. Both were consecrated in October 1842 and still remain an active witness to the worship of God.
Two pages packed with information
Shortly after Stoke was conveyed with the title of City in 1925, there was a move to create a Potteries Cathedral. It was Rector Crick of St. Peters in Stoke (1924) who expired such enthusiasm for a new parish church in Stoke, to become the Cathedral of the Potteries. It was his wish to lay the foundation stone on October 6th 1930, the centenary of the present parish church dedicated in 1830. The pictures here of the proposed new cathedral were published in the Sentinel in March 1928. Rector Crick was convinced that if our city could catch a vision of the possi¬bilities of our great church, the dream could be realised.
The plans for the cathedral were prepared by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, R.A. The estimated cost was £150,000 (less than the cost of two old, terraced houses in Penkhull today) £50,000 was needed in five years. The Free Churches of the Potteries also offered their support in the campaign.
However, the war followed on following the depression which finally ended any hope of a Potteries Cathedral. The 1834 parish church of Gothic architecture still stands but sadly creates a huge financial burden to every subsequent generation that comes along.
Two pages with pictures of the original design by Sir Giles
Select at least 2 products
to compare
Reviews
There are no reviews yet.