hea 9 The history of the North Staffs Infirmary at Hartshill from Etruria.
£5.00Following the long struggle to overcome the serious stability of the Etruria buildings caused by industry with smoke and subsidence followed by an even longer struggle and different opinions a site at Hartshill was chosen belonging to the Mount estate and was subsequently purchased from Mr. Frederick Bishop, Solicitor of Hanley.
The foundation stone was laid on the 23rd of July 1860 by Sir John Heathcote, MP, the money being raised by a gift from the Prince Regent, out of the revenues of the Duchy of Lancaster and a legacy of £1,000 bequeathed by Mr John Rogers of the Watlands. The expenses of the additions were principally defrayed by a fancy bazaar held at Newcastle which realised the sum of £940 and with the additional receipts of an oratorio held in the new parish church of Stoke (opened in 1830) which yielded the sum of a further £800. Mr John Tomlinson of Cliffe Ville, at Hartshill displayed great zeal in establishing a firm start of this new Infirmary.
It was a time before the NHS and government funding, so as an ambitious product the finances depended upon the potteries folk to support this project on the principal it was a public hospital. Factory workers agreed to a few pence stopped from their wages, all churches had a special Infirmary Sunday with special services and the hope of more generous giving – all going to the hospital funs.
It also depended upon numerous benefactors who would pay the cost of the building of additional wards and operating theatres of which all would display the names of the benefactor responsible.
All this went on for nearly 100 years until the NHS took over the responsibility of all hospitals in July 1948. Since this date the hospital went from strength to strength both in its structure but also the medical services it provided. 11 x A4 pages and many photographs and nearly 5,000 words